Gilbert taxpayers in need of service at the East Valley Internal Revenue Service Taxpayer Assistance Center now must call to schedule an appointment.
However, they first should see if their answer is available at IRS.gov. They may be able to resolve their tax question by visiting the IRS website, eliminating the need to be seen at the Taxpayer Assistance Center.
The IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center that serves Gilbert and other East Valley taxpayers is at 1818 E. Southern Ave. in Mesa. A similar facility in Glendale, at 7350 W. Camino San Xavier , now operates by appointment only, as well.
The IRS has begun taking calls for appointments at both.
Taxpayers requiring assistance should call the special toll-free number, 1-844-545-5640, IRS representatives may help resolve the issue over the phone or schedule an appointment at IRS TAC if face-to-face service is needed.
In most cases, callers are able to resolve their tax issue without having to travel to a TAC, which can sometimes be a significant trip. Taxpayers should always check IRS.gov for days and hours of service as well as services offered at the location they plan to visit.
The IRS moved to an appointment service at the East Valley office as part of an ongoing effort to eliminate lines and reduce frustration for taxpayers with more complex tax matters, who require in-person tax help.
Studies show that many taxpayers visit an IRS office to get a tax transcript, make a payment, resolve a notice, obtain a form or publication or ask about their refund.
Many of these issues can be resolved at IRS.gov.
IRS.gov offers numerous online options for tax help that can save time and effort. Services include:
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers and Form W-7 (Tuesday and Thursday only).
- Participating locations will review passports and other required documents for those who submit Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number in person.
- Where’s My Refund?: Taxpayers can check their refund status and estimated delivery date.
- Free File: Free tax software offered through IRS partners to allow you to file your taxes online.
- Get Transcript: Order a transcript online or have it mailed to the residence we have on file for you.
- Direct Pay: Make tax payments or estimated tax payments directly debited from a checking or savings account.
- Electronic Federal Tax Payment System: Individuals or businesses can make all types of federal tax payment.
- Online Payment Agreement: Eligible taxpayers can set up installment payments for taxes owed.
- Where’s My Amended Return?: Taxpayers can track the status of their amended return.
- Answers to tax-law questions: Direct links to helpful resources to answer many tax questions.
- All IRS Forms and Publications: Find and download current tax forms, instructions and publications.
- Form 2290, Heavy Highway Vehicle Use Tax Return Preparation: Truckers do not need to visit an IRS office to file Form 2290. They can electronically file and pay online any tax due. Approved providers for Form 2290 can be found on the 2290 e-file partner’s page. Generally, truckers who e-file can receive their IRS-stamped Schedule 1 electronically minutes after e-filing. They can print their Schedule 1 and provide it to their state Department of Motor Vehicles without visiting an IRS office.
For additional information on available services, see Publication 5136, the IRS Services Guide.